It’s possible that your former tenant left unpleasant pet odors behind if they had pets. When your new tenants do not have pets or are extremely sensitive to pet odors, a stinky rental property can be particularly problematic. It can be challenging to get rid of pet smells from a rental property, especially if the tenant has been there for a long time or the pets have caused a lot of damage. Consider the following advice from experts on how to restore your property and get the pet odors out.
The Quick Science Behind Pet Odors
Pet odors are a prevalent issue in rental properties where animals are permitted. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which are produced when bacteria in pet feces and urine break down, can cause health issues and offensive odors. Utilize enzymatic cleaners to clean carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces on a regular basis to eliminate pet odors. It’s also critical to regularly clean and set clear expectations for tenants in order to prevent pet odors.
Methods for Removing Pet Odors from Your Rental Property
It’s critical to use pet-friendly cleaning supplies when cleaning various surfaces, such as carpets, upholstery, and hard surfaces, to protect both people and their animals. Additionally, regular cleaning and maintenance can help stop pet odors from developing into a problem.
- Enzymatic cleaners contain enzymes that degrade the bacteria responsible for the odor, making them the most effective method for eliminating pet odors. Enzymatic cleaners are suitable for use on hard surfaces, upholstery, and carpets. Additionally, they effectively eliminate discoloration and stains brought about by pet urine and feces. They may cost more than other cleaning supplies, though.
- Baking soda and vinegar contain cleaning agents derived from natural sources that eliminate pet odors. Baking soda absorbs odors and functions as a natural deodorizer. Carpets and upholstery should be dusted with baking soda, left to rest for several hours, and subsequently vacuumed. For cleaning hard surfaces, combine vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Bacteria and viruses can be eliminated naturally with vinegar.
- Activated charcoal is an organic odor absorber that can assist in getting rid of pet odors. To eliminate odors from the rental property, locate several bowls filled with activated charcoal. It can, nevertheless, be messy and difficult to clean up.
- Air purifiers can aid in clearing the air of pet odors. They function by removing various allergens, including pet dander. They do need frequent maintenance though, and they can be costly.
Keeping Your Rental Property Odor-Free
Rental properties must be kept odor-free by preventing pet odors from developing in the first place. Prevent pet odors from becoming a problem by performing routine maintenance and cleaning. To avoid pet odors in the future, consider the following advice:
- Set clear expectations for tenants with pets. To make sure that tenants with pets understand their responsibilities for maintaining the rental property clean and odor-free, it is imperative to set clear expectations for them. This may involve mandating the use of odor control products, such as pee pads, or consistent cleanup following their pets’ outdoor activities.
- Regular cleaning and maintenance: By performing routine maintenance and cleaning, pet odors can be prevented from becoming problematic. This involves routinely cleaning hard surfaces, upholstery, and carpets to avoid the accumulation of pet odor. Utilizing cleaning products that are safe for both humans and pets is essential.
- Air purifiers: Pet odors can be eliminated from the air with the use of air purifiers. This involves removing allergens such as pet dander. If pet odors start to bother you, think about placing air purifiers in the rental property’s common areas.
- Limit the number and size of animals: Keep odors and damage under control by restricting the size and number of pets allowed in rental properties. By doing this, you can make sure that pet odors are successfully removed between tenants.
Health issues and a decline in the value of rental properties can result from pet odors. In order to prevent these problems, landlords and property managers should be aware of the smells caused by pets and employ efficient ways to get rid of them, like air purifiers, baking soda and vinegar, enzymatic cleaners, and activated charcoal. In addition, it is critical to limit the number and size of animals in rental units, establish clear expectations for tenants with pets, and perform routine cleaning and maintenance to prevent pet odors. By adhering to these measures, rental properties can maintain an odor-free environment that enhances their appeal to prospective tenants.
For the efficiency and peace of mind that come with dealing with a property management business that serves Davenport and the surrounding area, get in touch with Real Property Management Lakeside right now. Contact us online or call us at 863-877-1078.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.